



Happy September everyone! Its labor day, and I'm home sick on the couch. Bored enough to blog for a few minutes while I continue my burnout on CNN hurricane coverage. It was a good weekend, right up until I started feeling sick this morning. Jen and I celebrated our 20 year anniversiary this weekend, while we sent our kids to the cabin with my family. I say "celebrated" because I typically forget about it until the day before and end up scrambling to get a card and dinner date put together. This year I started working on it much earlier, and so it was much more successful. Friday afternoon, Jen went on a "I Feel Pretty" goose chase to several locations, that I'll let her blog about later. We ended up meeting at a downtown SLC hotel Friday evening, had dinner, shopped at the Gateway and saw a late movie. Saturday after breakfast we made our way up to Midway for the Swiss Days Festival (not great this year) and ended up back at the Gateway for another movie. Sunday, we got up and drove to Paris, ID to meet up with our kids. So there you have it.
Now a jump to a totally unrelated topic: I am a confessed music junkie. I have a broad taste and can find stuff I like in almost every genre (accept for hip hop and opera). I also use music to enhance whatever I'm feeling throughout the day. Thats why my days often start with Jazz and end with Metal. ;-) So where am I going with this? I'm going to start blogging occassionally about what I'm listening to currently and my recommendations for things that I think you might like. If you are able to find some of this stuff and can download and listen to it, give me your feedback and tell me what you think. Here we go, my first installment:
Adult Alt: John Mayer - "Where the Light Is - John Mayer Live in Los Angeles" My take: I love live music, especially when its even better than the studio recordings. If you're a guitar geek like me, this is fascinating listening! Mayer fans will love this if you haven't heard it yet.
Jazz: Herbie Hancock - "River - The Joni Letters" My take: if you like Jazz piano, this is almost as good as it gets! HH covers a number of Joni Mitchell songs and uses a diverse group of vocalists including Norah Jones, Corrine Bailey Rae, and Tina Turner. The arrangements are unique and you'll understand why this album was nominated and won so many grammys.
Blues: Albert Cummings "True to Yourself" My take: blues is an aquired taste for most people. It either moves your soul or it has no effect on you at all. This album is for the former. If Stevie Ray Vaughn and Buddy Guy had a love child, it would be Albert Cummings. This white guy from the Northeast straight-up shreds and is one of the best blues guitar players in a generation - in my humble opinion.
Country: Nothing that I'm crazy about currently. I'll find my "Eeeehaw" vibe again soon and will report then. When in doubt, just listen to Brad Paisley.
Metal: Disturbed "Indestructible" My take: Good stuff! Especially the track "Inside the Fire". Sometimes banging your head is good for your spirit, and these guys make me feel better when I need to release the rage. (kind of kidding, I'm not that rage filled).
Thats all for now kids. Catch you next time.
Lotsolove, Steve
Now a jump to a totally unrelated topic: I am a confessed music junkie. I have a broad taste and can find stuff I like in almost every genre (accept for hip hop and opera). I also use music to enhance whatever I'm feeling throughout the day. Thats why my days often start with Jazz and end with Metal. ;-) So where am I going with this? I'm going to start blogging occassionally about what I'm listening to currently and my recommendations for things that I think you might like. If you are able to find some of this stuff and can download and listen to it, give me your feedback and tell me what you think. Here we go, my first installment:
Adult Alt: John Mayer - "Where the Light Is - John Mayer Live in Los Angeles" My take: I love live music, especially when its even better than the studio recordings. If you're a guitar geek like me, this is fascinating listening! Mayer fans will love this if you haven't heard it yet.
Jazz: Herbie Hancock - "River - The Joni Letters" My take: if you like Jazz piano, this is almost as good as it gets! HH covers a number of Joni Mitchell songs and uses a diverse group of vocalists including Norah Jones, Corrine Bailey Rae, and Tina Turner. The arrangements are unique and you'll understand why this album was nominated and won so many grammys.
Blues: Albert Cummings "True to Yourself" My take: blues is an aquired taste for most people. It either moves your soul or it has no effect on you at all. This album is for the former. If Stevie Ray Vaughn and Buddy Guy had a love child, it would be Albert Cummings. This white guy from the Northeast straight-up shreds and is one of the best blues guitar players in a generation - in my humble opinion.
Country: Nothing that I'm crazy about currently. I'll find my "Eeeehaw" vibe again soon and will report then. When in doubt, just listen to Brad Paisley.
Metal: Disturbed "Indestructible" My take: Good stuff! Especially the track "Inside the Fire". Sometimes banging your head is good for your spirit, and these guys make me feel better when I need to release the rage. (kind of kidding, I'm not that rage filled).
Thats all for now kids. Catch you next time.
Lotsolove, Steve


1 comments:
Well, I read this article and was a little surprised by your pick of Disturbed. I guess I shouldn't have been, I like "Inside the Fire" too. Of course I agree with Brad Paisley. Unfortunately I haven't really heard of the others. Maybe I'll have to find a way to look some of them up as you post, but I like the idea of you sharing, since you do appreciate music so much. Shortly after reading your post I came across this Braves @-bat Music. I know you aren't baseball fans, but I thought it was funny to read why players picked songs they did...
Post a Comment