Trials and Music Reviews

Some people try to cut deals with God. They do it usually when they're desperate and need something, or worse yet when they want something that they can't or shouldn't have. I'm not saying that I've never done that, because I'm sure that I have. It usually comes out sounding something like, "I'll do this for you, if you do this for me," or "if you do this one thing for me, I'll ______________________ (fill in blank with something like, start reading my scriptures again, do my calling better, go to the temple more often, etc). The problem with negotiating like that is that it usually contains an admission that you're not living right to begin with.

In spite of all my faults and weaknesses, of which there are many, there are a few things that I've come to understand in my old age. Regardless of what trials or blessings are placed in our path, we have the same responsibility to live the commandments, keep our covenants, and serve faithfully. So where is all of this going? The temptation to try to cut a deal when hard times come is misguided and will probably result in disappointment. Acceptance of the principle that we have to go through trials in order to grow and get stronger doesn't make the trial hurt any less, but it does bring some degree of peace. One of the principles taught in the Dale Carnegie leadership course is "Make Peace With The Inevitable." There are alot of ways to read that statement, but at this exact point in my life it means that the trials will pass only when HE sees fit for me to be done with them. Until that time comes, I can only do all that I can do and keep my chin up.
Alright, now time for something not quite so serious. I haven't done music reviews in awhile so I think that its time. Man, I hope some of you actually make the effort to listen to my picks, because they're pretty good. Take my first album, for example.

Brad Paisley: The best thing that happened on November 4th was not the election of a new President; instead, it was Brad Paisley's new album called "PLAY." This is BP's sixth studio album and its really different from his previous work, in that the majority of songs are instrumentals (which showcase his mad guitar skills). Some of the best instrumental songs are "Playing With Fire," "Les is More," which is a tribute to the style of Les Paul, and a crazy tune called "Cluster Pluck" that features James Burton, Vince Gill, Albert Lee, John Jorgenson, Brent Mason, Paul Volkaert, and Steve Wariner, all awesome players! Of course, the couple of duets are probably what will snag most people. "Start a Band", the duet with Keith Urban is just out on radio now (look for it live on the CMA awards Wednesday night) and there is a great duet with Buck Owens. Give it a listen.

Paramore: This is my new guilty-pleasure alternative band and has been for a month or so now. These kids are from Nashville and are really tight. Great vocals, great guitar work, and catchy hooks. Some of my favorite tunes are "Thats What You Get," "Misery Business," and "CrushCrushCrush." They also have a new single out from the "Twilight" soundtrack called "Decode" thats on the radio right now. The song is really great, which is good because its about the closest that I'll get to that movie. You can listen to two of their songs on my Playlist at the bottom of this page. Like always, drop me a note if you get a chance to listen to some of this music and tell me what you think. Until then, up the irons.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Brad Paisley album. I was a little nervous after hearing it was mostly instrumental, but you are right about his mad guitar skills. It's on my Christmas list. I'll have to find a way to listen to Paramore. You make it sound pretty good.

Alicia said...

OH come on Steve I know you already have your midnight tickets to twilight!! It's okay shout it from the rooftops!!