More adventures in Taiwan

I am going to share some of the emails that Meredith has been sending. That poor girl was hating it when she first got there. The heat, humidity, and new foods and smells all combined to make her really nauseated. Here's the first one that she sent after she got to Taiwan and spent the afternoon at a high school:
So I think I probably shouldn't have come. I had my first ever panic attack this morning on the way to the airport. Add to that the fact that it was hot and humid so I was getting dehydrated and that I'm on my period and I thought they were going to have to send me home. My face was tingly and it started to spread to my neck and arms. I felt nauseas and like I was going to pass out. It is truly a miracle I was able to get on the flight. Once on the air conditioning helped but the heat and humidity is drowning here. It also smells weird in different places and some places are so bad that I've had to walk away to keep from gagging. I really wanted to be open about trying new things but I'm so messed up right now I'm lucky to eat anything. Fortunately I somehow didn't get sick during the school tour we went on right after we got off the plane. It was really cool and I learned a lot. We have another 2 tours tomorrow so hopefully things are ok. Yes I've talked to the teachers here and they said they will help me work out a different diet. They said if I want to ease into stranger things I can but to take it easy so I don't get sick. I'm so embarrassed about the whole situation.
The country has many pretty places but we have seen many ghettos. I'm glad I don't drive here because the Taiwanese are insane drivers. The school was very nice and the kids we met are very smart, talented and enthusiastic about our presence at their school. I don't know how the next month will go but I'm praying that things will work out. I hope you and the family are doing well. I'll try to see if my email will work. -Mer

More posts later.

0 comments: